Monday, December 10, 2007

A slap of humility for Anthony Smith

Competitive sports can be inherently humbling. The joy of victory is savored by far fewer than the agony of defeat, but for most of us, even competitive sports are much less pressure-filled than profession sports. That's not to say that if I play a foe in tennis, a defeat isn't going to be humbling, especially if I'm better and happen to lose, but what I mean to say is that I don't have much on the line and at the end of the day, it's just a loss.
So what's my point? My point is that yesterday's loss for the Pittsburgh Steelers and in particular, safety Anthony Smith was like a double blow to the head, but to be frank, I think I agree with Rodney Harrison, who actually didn't give the guy a hard time for guaranteeing the victory, but rather, expressed his opinion that this was and is a learning opportunity for the young player. Granted, he needs to first learn to shut his mouth, but The Steelers didn't play a bad game, they just played a New England team with a chip on their shoulders after two straight close games.
Quite a big piece of humble pie he has to eat though' no doubt about that.

0 comments: